Junction Texas: Town of Many Streams

Share Button
JUNCTION TEXAS

Historic Kimble County Courthouse built in 1929

Junction Texas was founded in 1876 after the organization of Kimble County earlier that year. The original town site was named Denman after Marcellus Denman, who had surveyed and platted the new community. The name Denman was quickly changed to Junction City. In late 1876, Junction City won the designation of county seat from the unsuccessful and flood-prone settlement of Kimbleville. By 1879, a drugstore, livery stable, sawmills, and a few general stores were active in the community. Around 300 people were living in Junction City in 1882. The West Texas, Kimble County’s first newspaper, began publishing in 1882. The county courthouse and its records were lost to a fire in 1884. A second, two-story brick stone courthouse was partially destroyed in an 1888 fire, but was repaired and emained in use until 1929, when the present courthouse was constructed. In 1894, Junction City became known simply as Junction. Infrastructure improvements marked the decade of the 1890s. Businessman Ernest Holekamp provided the city’s first waterworks with a canal dug from the South Llano to Junction in 1895. A dam was built in 1896 on the South Llano River to provide power and water to the city and irrigation to surrounding lands.

The population stood at 536 in 1900. Four Mile Dam, a more permanent and extensive dam, was completed in 1904. Junction continued to rapidly grow with around 800 residents living in the community in 1910. That figure had grown to 1,250 by 1920. By the late 1920s, citizens felt the need for the benefits of a municipal government. On August 27, 1927, H.O. Denman and 152 others presented an incorporation petition to Kimble County Judge J.B. Randolph. In the election, 390 votes were cast: 274 (70%) “For Incorporation” and 116 (30%) “Against Incorporation.” A city officers’ election took place on October 13, 1927 with Ernest Holekamp elected as Junction’s first mayor. During the mid-1920s, highway connections from Junction to Menard and San Angelo were made available. A sewer system was built in 1929. In the 1930 census, the city recorded 1,415 residents. Junction was the chief shipping and commercial center of Kimble County, as well as a tourist resort and hunting center.

The Junction Texas area has more flowing streams than any other area in Texas and as a result offers great fishing opportunities;

Things to Do and See in Junction Texas:

Kimble County Courthouse…Kimble County has had three courthouses; 1878, 1885 and 1929 (pictured above)… The first one burned, necessitating the second. The second was burned in 1888, but was repaired. The third and current courthouse was built in 1929.

Kimble County Historical Museum… The museum features documents, tools and artifacts of early settlers.

The O.C. Fisher Museum…. which is a duplicate of the Washington office of the long time congressmen O.C. Fisher.

South Llano River State Park ….which has an abundance of wildlife and offers camping, picnicking, swimming and hiking opportunities.

When visiting Junction be sure to visit more great attractions in Menard, Sonora and Fredericksburg.

Share Button
Texas Events

Prairies and Lakes March Events

Share Button

Prairie and Lakes Events Arlington March 31…Maverick Speaker Series: Jane Goodall…College Park Center at UT Arlington Belton Through March 12… Deadly Medicine: Creating the Master Race…www.bellcountymuseum.org March 12…Bell County Museum Great Garage Sale…www.bellcountymuseum.org March 12-18…Spring Break at the Bell County Museum…www.bellcountymuseum.org March 19…Discover Day with Charley Chisholm…www.bellcountymuseum.org March 19-20… Sami Show Marketplace…Bell County Expo Center […]

Share Button